Image View Description:
Exterior: Central Yard Facing Southwest, Western Corner
original structure ca. 4th century CE, rebuilt 1237 CE
The Romans built a stone structure using the local basalt stone that formed a basis for later constructions on the site, a structure used by the Byzantine and Umayyad empires. The castle underwent its final major stage of building in 1237 CE, when 'Izz ad-Din Aybak, an emir of the Ayyubids, redesigned and fortified it. The fortress in its present form dates to this period.
March 15, 2016