Creator Variant Name:
Santa Maria dei Miracoli
The church of the Miracoli was built to house a miraculous image of the Virgin Mary owned by Angelo Amadi; this tradition dates back to 1408, and by 1477 alms and gifts were being donated. This led to the building of the church in 1481. Lorenzetti describes a depiction of the Virgin between two saints, not a Madonna and Child, which is pictured here. Chorus Venice, which administers the site, is also unclear as to whether this is the actual altarpiece owned by Amadi.
Photography by the Media Center for Art History, Department of Art History and Archaeology