NW edge of the Palatine Hill, view of Arch of Constantine, and the Colosseum
1st century CE
Palatine Hill’s history goes back to the foundation of Rome, and was inhabited from all the way back to 1000 BCE. However, most of the remaining architecture we see are from the beginning of the imperial period, including the palaces of Augustus, Tiberius, and Domitian. House of Livia is also known.
Photography by Media Center for Art History, Department of Art History, Columbia University