Interior: View looking East
The Sistine Chapel was built by Pope Sixtus IV (ruled 1471-84). Sixtus began the decoration in 1481-82, hiring Botticelli, Signorelli, Ghirlandaio, Cosimo Rosselli and Perugino, to paint the upper walls with episodes from the lives of Moses and Christ. Julius II commissioned Michelangelo in 1508-12 to paint the vault with scenes from Genesis. The Last Judgment on the altar wall was painted by Michelangelo, 1536-1541.