Palazzo Ducale

Interior: View of Council Chamber

Title Variant: 

Doge's Palace, Sala della Bussola

Date: 

founded 9th century; expansion 14th-16th centuries; expanded interior decorations from 16th-17th centuries

Location: 

Geographic Coordinates: 

Latitude: 45.433991000000
Longitude: 12.340767000000

Material/Technique: 

Work Type: 

Notes: 

This was the antechamber where those who had been summoned by the Council of Ten waited to be called and the magnificent decor was intended to underline the solemnity of the Republic's legal machinery, some of the most famous and efficient components of which were housed in these rooms. The decor dates from the 16th century, and it was Veronese who was commissioned to decorate the ceiling. Completed in 1554, the works he produced are all intended to exalt the "good government" of the Venetian Republic; the central panel, with St. Mark descending to crown the three Theological Virtues, is a copy of the original, now in the Louvre. Sansovino designed the large fireplace in 1553-54.

Culture: 

Culture 2: 

Photographer: 

Image Source: 

Photography by the Media Center for Art History, Department of Art History and Archaeology, © The Trustees of Columbia University

Image Date: 

2006

Access Restrictions: 

Contact mediacenter@columbia.edu for permission requests.