Scuola Grande di San Rocco

Date
1515-1560
Material/Technique

Chapter House begun by Bon and completed by Scarpagnino. Paintings by Tintoretto and workshop (1576-1581) in upper and lower halls, and the albergo. Lower entrance hall is characteristic of Venetian scuole. The paintings by Jacopo Tintoretto and Domenico Tintoretto were completed between 1564 and 1588. They depict events from the New Testament, specifically the Life of Mary. The lower portion of the building, including the facade, was completed by Bon. The entire upper floor, including its facade, has been grafted on to finish the project by Lo Scarpagnino. On a corner capital, the date 1535 is carved to commemorate the beginning of his side entrance to the right. Carved walnut stalls in Grand Hall by Francesco Pianta. The Sala dell'Albergo is decorated with paintings by Tintoretto (1564-1567) with a vast Crucifixion scene.

References

Lorenzetti, Venice and Its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide (Rome: Istituto Poligrafico dello Stato, 1961) as translated and with supplementary content by Taryn Marie Zarrillo, 2012/13

  • View from northwestern area of campo, between the church and scuola