Cortile del Palazzo Ducale

Date
14th-16th century
Work Type

Eastern facade attributed to Antonio Rizzo (1482-98), with decoration by Pietro Lombardo (1498), and completed by Antonio di Pietro Abbondi (Scarpagnino) ca. 1550. Western and Southern facades attributed to Bartolommeo Manopola ca. 1600. Northern facade abutting Arco Foscari attributed to Bartolommeo Manopola and Pietro Cittadella, ca. 1603-14. The north side of the courtyard is closed by the junction between the Palace and St. Mark's Basilica, which used to be the Doge's chapel. At the center of the courtyard stand two well-heads dating from the mid-16th century.

References

Lorenzetti, Venice and Its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide (Rome: Istituto Poligrafico dello Stato, 1961) as translated and with supplementary content by Taryn Marie Zarrillo, 2012/13

See Also
  • View of courtyard with basilica dome in the background, facing north from center of eastern end of courtyard
  • View of courtyard with basilica dome in the background, facing north from near center of eastern end of courtyard
  • View of triumphal arch, facing northwest from north end of courtyard
  • View of courtyard, facing west from east-side second-story loggia of palace
  • View of triumphal arch at north end of courtyard with basilica domes in background, facing northwest from east-side second-story loggia of palace
  • view from South
  • view from South
  • view from South