San Salvadore was founded in the 12th century by the Canons of Saint Augustine; it was rebuilt in the 16th century after a fire. The design of the present church was made by Giorgio Spavento; however, it was carried out mainly by Tullio Lombardo and finished by Jacopo Sansovino. The facade was rebuilt in 1663 from a project by Giuseppe Sardi and decorated by Bernardo Falcone (late 17th cent). The church holds the remains of Venice's first patron saint; Saint Theodore. The Scuola San Teodore is located just across the campo from the main entrance. There are two major works by Titian here; the Annunciation and on the main altar, the Transfiguration, which protects the 14th century silver Reredos. This is only shown 3rd-5th August, the saints feast days, and Christmas and Easter. The interior is designed on mathematical principals, based on the proportion 2:1. It has a triple dome. On the exterior, lower left corner of the facade an Austrian cannonball is embedded.
- Lorenzetti, Venice and Its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide (Rome: Istituto Poligrafico dello Stato, 1961) as translated and with supplementary content by Taryn Marie Zarrillo, 2012/13