La Pieta, located on the Riva degli Schiavoni, was founded as a church for an orphanage for girls in 1346 and had Vivaldi as violin-master from 1704-1718 and as concert master from 1735-1738. The complex had been enlarged in 1388, and modernised in 1493 and 1515. The current building dates to a rebuilding of the chapel of the Pieta between 1745-60 on a new site. Giorgio Massari had won a competition in 1735 to provide plans for the reconstruction of the whole complex, but only the church was built. The facade was finally finished in 1906.