The building was designed by Giovanni Grassi and started in 1678. Twelve designs for the facade were submitted before settling on this manifestation. Sculptors who contributed to the project were: Tarsia, Giuseppe Torretto, Baratta, the Groppelli Brothers, Cibianca and Corradini. Funding for the facade was left as a legacy by Doge Alvise Mocenigo, whose family tomb is located here. "Stae" is Venetian dialect for Eustace, or Eustachio in standard Italian.