Gelüşke Hanı



MMM Documentation Dates
Spring 2015
Site Type
Civic, Commercial, and Domestic Buildings
Midyat (Turkey)
Mardin Province (Turkey)

    Entrance Facade

    Dining Room

    Northwestern Courtyard

    The Gelüşke Hanı is found just to the east of the center of the old city of Midyat in Mardin Province, Turkey. It was built as an inn near the turn of the 20th century on the model of a traditional caravanserai (hanı; khan) of the Ottoman era. In recent years, it has been restored and converted into a restaurant.

    The Gelüşke Hanı was constructed of the local limestone so abundant in the region, known locally as Midyat Taş. Its plan is modeled on the caravanserais of the Ottoman period. The building’s main wing is found at the northeastern end, facing onto the street (see the panorama). Its ground story facade centers on an arched entryway; this is flanked by a deep blind arcade supported by massive brackets with rounded, three-stepped moldings; a small wooden door is set under each round arch. Above, a cantilevered wooden balcony delineates the second story, which is less embellished. The single door onto the balcony—crowned with a rectangular, blank plaque bordered with a cyma—is surrounded by a series of round-topped windows.

    The deep, vaulted entrance hall that leads under the main wing opens into a courtyard with a rectangular plan (see the panorama). The second story of the main wing extends fully over the entrance hall but is otherwise set back, so that two terraces along the sides overlook the courtyard. The three other wings are fronted with porticos; these are composed of six pointed arches along the longer two wings and five along the shorter southwestern wing opposite the entrance. The porticos are rather austere, supported by simple rectangular piers and covered with groin vaults. The rear wall of the portico is built of slightly rougher masonry, effecting a subtle textural contrast. Under each bay, there is an arched portal with a wooden door leading into a guest room. Since the building’s conversion into a restaurant, the rooms have been outfitted as private dining spaces (see the panorama).

    The Gelüske Hani was constructed as an inn in 1903 by an architect named Musa Samas. Between 1950 and the 1970s, the building functioned as a market, while in 1980, it was converted into a stable and abattoir. Recently, the building underwent a major restoration and now serves as a restaurant with seating in both the courtyard and the former guest rooms. 

    “History” general source: Karakaş and Karakaş 2015, 308–309.

    Karakaş, Ayhan, and Esma Karakaş. 2015. “Hanların Turizme Kazandırılması: Mardin, Diyarbakır Ve Şanlıurfa İl Merkezlerindeki Hanlar Üzerine Bir Çalışma.” Dicle Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi 7: 306–321.

    Content Manager
    Matthew Peebles (2020)