This parish church was the seat of a dean. Close to the château of Vincennes, Montreuil became, at the beginning of the thirteenth century, a royal parish: the king posessed a house opposite the church where Charles V was baptized. It is possible that the construction of the new church, begun early thirteenth century was assisted with royal funds. The slender construction engendered chronic structural problems and rebuilds. The nave is Late Gothic and the western frontispiece modern.
Begun ca. 1210
A box-like shape with flat east end. Sexpartite vaults in the choir
Three stories with very skinny cylindrical supports (no alternation), triple-opening false gallery and clerestory oculus. Very thin, unmoulded arcade wall.
The cylindrical columns, thin wall, triple-opening gallery and oculi all point directly to Notre-Dame of Paris
M. Dumolin and G. Outardel, Paris et la Seine, Paris, 1936
Jenn, Jean-Marie, "Visitons l'église de Montreuil-sous-Bois," Bulletin de la Société des amis du vieux Montreuil, 5 1976, 4
Lheure, M., Le rayonnement de Notre-Dame de Paris dans ses paroisses 1170-1300, Paris, 2010, 113.