Villefranche-d'Allier, Église Saint-Jaques-Le-Majeur

    Parish of the former diocese of Bourges. The town of Villefranche was established in 1136-40 by Archambaud V, sire de Bourbon and Agnès his wife. The church, begun in the later twelfth century, is made up of a nave of two bays flanked to the north by an aisle and terminated to the east by a crossing and central apse with transept arms opening on to apsidal chapels. In the thirteenth century the walls were brought to their full height, the interior main arcade constructed and rib vaults installed giving the interior the spatial quality of a Gothic hall church.